Monday, September 19, 2016


After reading the first chapter of Dr. Pennock’s book, I am definitely excited at the chance to read more in the future. I found the way each section was laid out, flowed well and did not lead me to have any unnecessary confusions. I really appreciated the instinctual argument that was discussed in this chapter. When I read Darwin’s quote, about having the instinct for Truth, knowledge and discovery, etc. I assumed that it was just a somewhat odd motivated working mans quote. I know it is not entirely similar, but I had pictured Darwin writing this at the start of a long experiment excited for the outcome and trying to think past the long hours he would have to put in. Personally, had it not been brought up in the chapter, I would have not thought twice about the quote, as I believe a lot of people would have done.  But after reading this chapter, it definitely seems to align with other ideas and theories about instincts. It makes a lot of sense when written about in this way. Because we have more developed brains and have the ability to think more critically, the way our instincts work can be more subtle. We still have the basic drive to understand and know truth based partially on the fact that it could help us be more survivable and perhaps more fit in general. This resonated with me and I found many of the examples and theoretical situations to help with my understanding of the concept. In general, I really enjoyed the chapter and agreed with the idea that the drive and curiosity a scientist has may have a deeper meaning. Although, a thought that I just had was the fact that I did not have a definitive opinion prior to reading may skew my view of the reading. This may not be the case but it was just something I thought of that might be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment